Thursday, January 12, 2017

so long, Social Media ...

Back in August, I announced that I wouldn't be standing for a fifth term-of-office when all of us next go to the polls (this coming May) for the Local Council elections --- that blog-post can still be found here ...

... and as I promised at the timein my ongoing role as Edinburgh Council LeaderI am continuing to fulfil all of my duties to the very best of my abilities --- and will do so right through until the close-of-poll at 10pm on Thursday 4th May 2017.

Last August, avid readers may also have spotted that this blog was somewhat surprisingly 10-years old ... and many readers will additionally know that I've maintained an active presence on Facebook, Twitter etc. for almost as lengthy a period of time ;-)

And I've thoroughly enjoyed (which I do hope has come across!) using all forms of Social Media over the last decade or so --- but, with 16-weeks to go until Local Election Day, I'm flagging up well in-advance ... so there's absolutely no room for dubiety on the day ... that as at 10pm on Thursday 4th May 2017, I'm intending to say "so-long, Social Media" and will completely wind-up both my Facebook and Twitter accounts, and also cease this blog.

I'll archive everything that I possibly can via this blog-presence; but whilst being visible as a record, none of it will thereafter be 'live' and/or 'maintained'.

There's never going to be a 'good time' to do this, but I've promised myself (and been very open about the fact) that I'm moving on to focus on other personal interests that will not involve front-line politics whatsoever --- and, as of 1-second past 10pm on the 4th May, I won't be a politician and reckon that will be as good a time as any to say cheerio to social media!

VERY IMPORTANTLY --- my mobile number, home phone number, home e-mail address, and physical home address; will all be exactly the same thereafter ...

... so if anyone wants to communicate with me, all they will need to do is either: pick up the phone, send me an e-mail, and/or even chap my front door ;-)

Who knows what could happen; I might even end up expanding my circle of friends :-))


2 comments:

BILL CUNNINGHAM said...

Andrew. You are one of the few people who will be greatly missed on social media. Best wishes for whatever new path you follow after May.

Andrew said...

Many thanks Bill :-)