Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Low-order issue ...

I know Paul Hucheon may not be every Labour MSP's favourite journalist --- but some of them (at least!) should pay attention to his piece in last Sunday's Herald newspaper ...

I'm a devolutionist, one who campaigned vigorously to see the Scottish Parliament come into existence, and I remain convinced of the worth in its current powers. But Holyrood Parliamentarians (and yes, local politicians like myself!) need to constantly defend and define that worth ...

Just 'using' the powers that the Parliament has will not do that of itself - there simply needs to be that broader (more widely debated) narrative underpinning the existence of the institution. For me also - the actual 'identity' of the people whom are represented therein still remains a very, very low-order issue.

No comments: