And personally, I think it's all very bad for the long-term future of the city - only time will tell whether that assessment is correct.
In the short-term though, it is a pretty poor settlement for local schools and young people in Edinburgh:
- every Primary and Secondary school in Edinburgh is being forced to take a 1.5%-2.0% budget cut
- this basically amounts to at least a £10,000 reduction per average Primary School
- at least a £10,000 reduction per average Special School
- and at least a £50,000 reduction per average Secondary School
- and to make things worse all school meals are being increased by 10p from August
- in addition, the Council's 'Youth Services' are being slashed by £357,000
- and 'Community Learning and Development' is being cut by by the full-year equivalent of £850,000
These so-called 'budget re-alignments', will result in the loss of much-needed local services for young people in both schools and the wider community.
For me, there is just no doubt these service cuts will have a serious and negative impact on young people and families throughout Edinburgh.
Not a good day.