Monday, January 29, 2007

Going Nowhere

I've tried really hard to steer (sorry about that) away from all-things transport since taking on the Children and Families brief - and also generally don't think it's a great idea just to comment on 'other' news events through this blog - but one story I saw last night on the BBC Scotland web-site just stuns me.

Have a look at the link - look at the fourth paragraph:

"The crash at about 2300 GMT on Saturday took the total number of deaths on Scotland's roads this weekend to 14."

... really, if those 14 lost-lives had been attributable to almost anything other than driving, there would have been political uproar. I've not heard a whimper of a political protest about this today ... mind you the fact is that, on average, almost 10 people die EVERY day on the UK's roads and it hardly ever gets a mention, so I shouldn't really be surprised.

It's a tragedy in every sense.

No comments: