Saturday, December 06, 2014

I'm backing Sarah Boyack because ...

#SarahBoyack4Leader

I'm backing Sarah Boyack for Scottish Labour Party Leader because ...

... not only have I worked with her for over a decade-and-a-half, but because - quite simply - I believe she's the best person for the job.

And that job is not just to lead Scottish Labour, but crucially, to get Scottish Labour back into power at Holyrood.

And, if you've still to cast your vote this weekend, I'd ask you just to reflect on this fundamental point - who, of the three candidates, is likely to appeal to the widest cross-section of the Scottish electorate?

Just dwell on that for a second; and - for me anyhow - the answer is completely and utterly obvious: it's Sarah Boyack.

I know Neil Findlay quite well; as along with Sarah since 2011, he's been a Lothians List MSP. And I really like Neil ... but is he the answer to the question above? Well, for me, I believe Sarah will have a much wider appeal.

I actually don't know Jim Murphy at all - but from all I've seen of him over the years, I again believe Sarah will have a much wider appeal with the Scottish electorate.

And it's the Scottish electorate that matter here. We're not selecting a Party Manager, but someone who should be able to help us attract as many votes as possible. And, for me, the person who has the qualities - and the policy platform - to do that, is Sarah.

Like me, and probably you, she has weaknesses ... but as an experienced, self-aware politician, she knows what those are, and would surround herself with people with complimentary skills.

On top of all that, Sarah has listened ... listened really hard ... throughout the Leadership campaign and - as promised at her campaign launch event - has today published a "100-Ideas for a New Scotland", based on her conversations throughout the campaign.

You can read about the document here; and access the full text here.

I like the document - a lot ... and if Sarah is elected Leader, I know that she'll actually deliver on it.

I also believe it's the basis of a political programme with wide public appeal.

And frankly, that's exactly what we need at the moment.

And that's why I'm backing Sarah Boyack.




No comments: