... all further emphasised by the results-graph on page 2 (here) which contrasts the Parties' 2011 vote in the City Centre Ward, with their 2007 vote.
For the local Lib-Dems, its all a grim picture:
- their vote just went from 20% to 7%
- they were 'first elected' in 2007
- 'first rejected' in 2011
- one of their Councillors has already defected: Morris
- there are now only 16 of them left
- 6 of those 16 have now publicly announced that they are not standing again in May 2012: Dundas, Grubb, MacLaren, Peacock, Snowden and Wheeler
- I'm certain more will follow and will announce soon they don't intend to contest a seat next May
Frankly, they are in total disarray.
Some more interesting analysis of the by-election can be found here and here ... the second link contains a good graphic (also on the left here) which shows just how close it all was ...
... but not for the Lib-Dems :-(