I posted (rather ironically) quite recently about it's 50th Anniversary School Fayre and did have a very constructive visit there (with my old hat on!) back in November last year.
It's one of the proposed closures I really, really don't understand - I'll be objecting to it strongly, and not 'just' as it's in my own Ward but because:
- as a denominational school, what's proposed would lead to a truly huge catchment area, stretching from Haymarket to Balerno, with all the children having to go to the current Broomhouse/St. Joseph's site - seems crazy to me, and not exactly designed to ease the school-run!
- I'm entirely uncertain that the Catholic Church have been properly (if at all?) consulted as of yet - as far as I know, they can ask Scottish Executive Ministers to review any closure they disagree with, so it would have been wise to talk to them first (as I proposed back in June - see paragraph 5 of our motion)
- the school also has a specialist, and well respected, Language Unit within the grounds; for which the current report makes passing mention without any firm commitment
- the school itself is far from empty, and has a healthy (and, I believe, recently growing) school-role of children
- the whole site has had a fair amount of investment in recent years
- and, most importantly, it's very popular with parents!
As you can tell - I'm not at all convinced and will do all I can to have this proposal rejected by the Local Authority.