Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tollcross Community Council

As a proponent of STV, I can hardly complain, but one of the joys of the new electoral set-up is the large increase in the number of Community Councils that elected Members are having to attend ... I was at Tollcross Community Council this evening for the first time, as a part of it's territory is in the new Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart Ward.

The three Fountainbridge/Craiglockhart Councillors - myself, Gordon Buchan and Jim Lowrie - now have 4 Community Councils that are either wholly or partly contained within the new Ward.

And whilst it may initially seem problematic that several Councillors, of different political persuasions, turn up at each Community Council meeting ... I actually think it's a positive strength. I've noticed already that when Council officers get complaints from 3 elected Members, from 3 different parties, they are taking much quicker 'note' and bringing forward action fairly promptly.

The honeymoon may not last of course, but I'm trying to make the best of this new officer-attentiveness at the moment!

No comments: